Friday, October 30, 2009

Kombucha

Yesterday I made my first batch of Kombucha with a scoby from Lee Moore, thanks, Lee! It was easy to do, now I need to wait 8 days to see if it works! I boiled 3 quarts of water (2 filtered, 1 Italian Mineral spring water) and dissolved a cup of organic cane sugar. Once dissolved, I floated 4 black organic tea bags and let sit overnight until cool. I then took out the tea bags and poured the sweet tea into a one gallon glass jar already containing 1/2 cup of Lee's Kombucha for the starter. I then floated the scoby on top of the tea and covered with a tea towel.

The tea is supposed to brew in a warm environment and it's not particularly hot in our home. So, I put it next to my crock pot cooking beans and hope that the steam will warm the tea enough to get the process going.

I also made some pate for a dinner party tonight with fresh chicken livers, some mushrooms, white wine and dried herbs from my garden. After cooking till all the liquid is gone, you let it cool. Then, on to the food processor with half a stick of butter. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Letting sweet tea cool on the counter overnight invites mold. Next time, cool the liquid faster by putting it in the fridge, freezer, a sink full of ice water, or make a tea concentrate with one quart of water and cool it with the remainder of the water.

    Good luck in your kombucha adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Slideshow

 
Custom Search